According to homethodology, Middletown, Rhode Island is a small coastal town with a population of approximately 16,000 people. It is located in the heart of Aquidneck Island, just south of Newport. The town is bordered by the Sakonnet River to the east and Mount Hope Bay to the west. The climate in Middletown is mild and humid, with warm summers and short cold winters.
Middletown was founded in 1659 by English colonists from Portsmouth, Rhode Island. Since then, its history has been shaped by its location on Aquidneck Island. It has served as a summer resort for wealthy vacationers from around the world since the early 19th century. In recent years, it has become an increasingly popular destination for retirees looking to enjoy its quaint ambiance and relaxed lifestyle.
Politically, Middletown is part of Newport County and is governed by an elected Town Council. The town’s economy relies heavily on tourism, retail businesses, and services such as healthcare and education. There are several schools in Middletown including Middletown High School, Gaudet Middle School, Forest Avenue Elementary School, Aquidneck Elementary School, St Mary’s Academy Bayview and St Philomena Catholic School. All of these schools have excellent academic programs that prepare students for college or career readiness upon graduation.
As far as landmarks go there are plenty to explore in Middletown! Visitors can take a stroll through Paradise Valley Park or visit some of the historic sites like Whitehall Museum House or World War II Memorial Park which was dedicated in 1945 to honor those who served during World War II from Rhode Island’s Navy bases at Quonset Point Naval Air Station and Davisville Naval Construction Battalion Center (Seabees). Additionally one can take a boat tour around Narragansett Bay or visit Third Beach which offers miles of sandy beaches perfect for swimming or sunbathing!
Population: 17,334. Estimated population in July 2020: 16,737 (-3.4% change)
Males: 8,434 (48.7%), Females: 8,900 (51.3%)
Median resident age: 37.7 years
Median household income: $51,075
Median house value: $160,800
Races in Middletown:
- White Non-Hispanic (87.6%)
- Black (4.7%)
- Hispanic (2.9%)
- Two or more races (2.4%)
- Filipino (1.2%)
- Other race (1.1%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
Ancestries: Irish (26.1%), English (15.0%), Portuguese (12.2%), Italian (11.7%), German (10.3%), French (6.1%).
Elevation: 132 feet
Middletown, Rhode Island is a suburban town located in Newport County. It is home to about 17,000 people, with a median age of 35. The population is diverse and includes many young professionals and families. The town has a strong sense of community and offers many recreational activities such as swimming, boating, fishing, and hiking.
Middletown also offers an affordable cost of living compared to other areas in the state. Housing costs are relatively low compared to other towns in the area, with the median home value being around $400,000. The average rent for a one-bedroom apartment is around $1,400 per month. Utility costs are also relatively low compared to other parts of the state due to its proximity to major cities like Providence and Boston. Additionally, there are no sales taxes in Middletown which makes it an attractive place for shoppers looking for bargains.
Overall Middletown is an excellent place to live if you’re looking for affordability and convenience. With easy access to major cities like Providence and Boston as well as recreational activities nearby like beaches and parks it’s easy to see why so many people choose Middletown as their home.
For population 25 years and over in Middletown
- High school or higher: 90.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 38.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.6%
- Unemployed: 4.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 17.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Middletown town
- Never married: 23.1%
- Now married: 59.7%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 7.3%
- Divorced: 8.9%
6.1% Foreign born (2.5% Europe, 1.6% Asia, 1.1% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -1,958 (-10.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Middletown:
- NEWPORT HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; NEWPORT, RI)
- KENT COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; WARWICK, RI)
- DR JOHN C CORRIGAN MENTAL HEALTH CTR (about 16 miles; FALL RIVER, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Middletown:
- THEODORE FRANCIS GREEN STATE (about 15 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Abbreviation: PVD)
- MARTHAS VINEYARD (about 50 miles; VINEYARD HAVEN, MA; Abbreviation: MVY)
- GROTON-NEW LONDON (about 54 miles; GROTON NEW LONDON, CT; Abbreviation: GON)
Other public-use airports nearest to Middletown:
- NEWPORT STATE (about 3 miles; NEWPORT, RI; Abbreviation: UUU)
- QUONSET STATE (about 8 miles; NORTH KINGSTOWN, RI; Abbreviation: OQU)
- DOWNTOWN PROVIDENCE HELISTOP (about 21 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Abbreviation: RI9)
Amtrak station near Middletown:
- 20 miles: KINGSTON (WEST KINGSTON, FAIRGROUNDS RD.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Middletown:
- ROGER WILLIAMS UNIVERSITY (about 10 miles; BRISTOL, RI; Full-time enrollment: 3,007)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF RHODE ISLAND (about 16 miles; WARWICK, RI; Full-time enrollment: 8,650)
- NEW ENGLAND INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 16 miles; WARWICK, RI; Full-time enrollment: 2,419)
- BRISTOL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 16 miles; FALL RIVER, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,497)
- UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND (about 17 miles; KINGSTON, RI; Full-time enrollment: 11,759)
- BROWN UNIVERSITY (about 21 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 7,460)
- JOHNSON & WALES UNIVERSITY (about 21 miles; Providence, RI; Full-time enrollment: 8,218)
Public high school in Middletown:
- MIDDLETOWN HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 817; Location: 130 VALLEY ROAD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Middletown:
- ST GEORGES SCHOOL (Students: 334; Location: 372 PURGATORY RD; Grades: 9 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Middletown:
- JOSEPH H. GAUDET SCHOOL (Students: 841; Location: 1113 AQUIDNECK AVENUE; Grades: 05 – 08)
- AQUIDNECK SCHOOL (Students: 371; Location: 70 RESERVOIR AVENUE; Grades: PK – 04)
- JOHN F. KENNEDY SCHOOL (Students: 371; Location: 740 WEST MAIN ROAD; Grades: KG – 04)
- FOREST AVENUE SCHOOL (Students: 316; Location: 315 FOREST AVENUE; Grades: PK – 04)
- FOREST AVENUE II (Students: 53; Location: 26 OLIPHANT LANE; Grades: KG – KG)
Private primary/middle schools in Middletown:
- ALL SAINTS ACADEMY (Students: 159; Location: 915 W MAIN ROAD; Grades: KG – 8)
- SILVEIRA KINDERGT & NURSRY SCH (Students: 93; Location: 143 PECKHAM LANE MAILING ADDRE; Grades: PK – KG)
- GROWING CHILDREN OF RI (Students: 66; Location: 70 CORPORATE PLACE; Grades: PK – KG)
- AQUIDNECK ISLAND CHRISTIAN ACA (Students: 62; Location: 70 BLISS MINE RD; Grades: KG – 8)
- LITTLE FRIENDS INC (Students: 54; Location: 33 MITCHELLS LANE; Grades: PK – KG)
- JAMES L MAHER SCHOOL (Students: 16; Location: P.O. BOX 4390; Grades: UG – UG)
- BRIGHT IDEAS INC (Students: 14; Location: 1272 WEST MAIN RD; Grades: KG – KG)
Library in Middletown:
- MIDDLETOWN PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $651,102; Location: 700 WEST MAIN ROAD; 71,800 books; 1,624 audio materials; 949 video materials; 131 serial subscriptions)